Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Confessions of a Blogger: Love & Hip Hop Atlanta Addiction

“Hi everyone. My name is Kimster and I’m addicted to Love and Hip Hop Atlanta”

“Hi, Kimster.”

You see, it all started when my friends were making Master Splinter rat faces and talking in a language I had never heard before, now deemed the language of Joseline. I had to know what was going on, so the DVR marathon began and I have been hooked on the ratchetness ever since. I stare in awe episode after episode looking at the show as a cautionary tale for women more so than anything else. I realize that it’s scripted and the cast is told to take the drama into overdrive for ratings, but…I…can’t…turn…away.

Currently single and loving it, I can’t help but look on in horror at these women and hope that I never appeared anywhere close to as desperate or broken to a man while in a relationship. True, if I was then who I am now in my relationships, I would have been an even bigger force to be reckoned with; however, I didn’t have the benefit (or horror) of seeing myself onscreen behaving like a buffoon during reunion specials to see that I needed to put on my big girl panties and move the heck on. That’s what these women are depicted as never being able to do: move on from men who treated (and continue to treat) them like garbage. The men are depicted as the lowest of the low. Take for instance last night between Tracie and Drew. Drew reminds me a lot of my ex in that he is immature, obtuse, and needs the validation of other women to make him feel relevant. Drew cheated on Tracie while she was pregnant with their son. As co-parents, Tracie clearly still had residual feelings for Drew and displayed pure fury when he was purposely parading women in front of her face. She stupidly decided to go into business with him (I imagine to bring them together and be able to keep an eye on him) only to have her money ($25,000 worth) stolen by his low down business partner without a signed contract. Fast forward a few episodes and Tracie is dating someone new. For all intents and purposes he could be a dog too, but he’s better looking than Drew and is treating Tracie well. Drew was instantly threatened and jealous and resorted to insulting Tracie’s new man and declared that he could scoop her up if he wanted to. Ouch. A part of me hated to see Tracie getting off on seeing Drew jealous because now I can’t tell if she actually likes the new guy or if he’s just a prop. (Wouldn’t that be quite the hypocritical play, Tracie?) She decides to sit down for lunch at a restaurant with the clown where he proceeds to tell her how he now wants her back and knows she wants it to. Upon her negation of that fact, he stands up at their table, grabs her face, forcefully throws her head back, and goes in for a kiss. She blocks it and laughs, and his embarrassed, cheap self runs off in a huff leaving her with the bill (don’t think I missed that).

That’s just one tale of a woman on the show who could do better but seemingly chooses not to. Don’t even get me started on the wife whose husband told her to get an abortion. I think you’re seeing my point…and the rachetness. These women are successful, attractive, and have a lot going for them, yet they willingly remain under the thumb or control of an asinine man in the form of contracts, bank accounts, businesses, and flatlined relationships. This show is like a train wreck you can’t look away from. However, it’s also a cautionary tale that when a man shows you who he is, believe him…and move on.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! :)