Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Amazing Spiderman 2: MJ Watson Recasting

There are some beautiful moments of my childhood that will stay with me forever. For instance, I remember watching the original Star Wars trilogy with my big brother while we ate way too many Tootsie Rolls and I toyed with the notions that Jabba the Hutt could potentially mar my dreams, and I would one day grow up to look like Princess Leia – skimpy prisoner outfit and all. I also remember the days of sitting around reading comic books while drinking Tang and eating Oreos. (Yes, it is a wonder my teeth have yet to fall out). The dynamic illustrations of comic books alone were enough to grab my undivided attention. Two images that stick out in my mind from the Spiderman series, in particular, are the cover from Peter and Mary Jane’s wedding issue and the lifeless body of Gwen Stacy in Spiderman’s arms after being thrown from a building by the Green Goblin. Her death marked a period in the Bronze Age of Comic books which tackled darker storylines and plots revolving around real life issues such as death, drug use, sexual assault, and alcoholism. It also demonstrated the tragic loss of a main character at the hands of a superhero, after it was confirmed that Gwen died of a broken neck due to the simultaneous impact of her fall and Spiderman’s webbing catching her leg. 

Gwen’s death has always stayed with me, and with the film reboot of the Spiderman series in the form of The Amazing Spiderman, it looks as if Gwen Stacy’s fate will be sealed on the big screen in the sequel film. On the heels of Stacy’s death will be the introduction of Mary Jane Watson’s character, originally intended to be played by Shailene Woodley. However, news broke yesterday that Watson scenes for the film were cut and the third film (and possibly fourth) in the series will recast the role. I get chills just thinking about the chemistry of Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone on screen in their Spiderman and Gwen Stacy roles, respectively, enacting that tragic scene. That will definitely be emotionally difficult to watch. 

Only seconds ago I read an update casting Sarah Gadon (Cosmopolis) in a role that may be that of the new Mary Jane but I'm thinking she may come into play in the Black Cat role. To be honest, I was never a fan of the Woodley choice, and apparently neither were a lot of fans who weren't too pleased with the grunge look displayed in many set photos. Maybe I’m just in comic book mode, but my first thought was Katie Cassidy of current Arrow fame, playing the charming redhead. We shall see how it all goes down when The Amazing Spiderman 2 swings into theaters on May 2, 2014!
 
 
Are you disappointed to see Woodley’s departure and excited about the prospect of Sarah Gadon? Are you excited about The Amazing Spiderman 2? Who would you want casted in the Mary Jane Watson role?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! :)