Saturday, November 3, 2012

2012 Election: Vote!


"Don't just stand there, let's get to it
Strike a pose, there's nothing to it, 
VOTE, VOTE
VOTE, VOTE"


2008 was my first year eligible to vote in what was an epic election. I was super excited. However, upon arriving at the polls, I proceeded to have what is probably the biggest anxiety attack of my life. Thoughts like, "what if I unknowingly mess up my ballot and it doesn't count?"; "why is this poll worker giving me the stink eye?"; "will this tiny voting booth-stand trigger an onset of claustrophobia?"; "what if my vote is the vote that decides who wins the election?" danced in my head. At the end of the day, all of that went out of my head when I realized that I had just used my 'voice'; and while that voice is one among millions, it was my voice speaking up and voting for who and what I believe in. 

During this election season I have heard many people, specifically young people, making comments or arguments about why they aren't going to be voting, followed by the commonly used phrase, "don't judge me." Their reasons often vary among not wanting to choose between two politicians whom they don't agree with, religion, the pessimistic view that their vote won't make a difference, and hatred for the government. Newsflash, whether you hate the government and choose to take yourself out of the aspect of voting, there will still be a government in this country so, in my opinion, utilize your vocal freedom. As an African-American woman, two characteristics that only a few decades ago would have restricted me from voting, I see voting as an honor and privilege in this country. So I stood proudly at the polls because "if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything." With that being said, I was very happy to be #8 in line to early vote this morning for the 2012 election. I Voted Today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! :)