Monday, September 13, 2010

M. Night Shyamalan

With the upcoming release of "Devil", a supernatural thriller based on a story by M. Night Shyamalan, I thought I'd highlight his well-known movies, good and bad. Oh, but before I move on to those, I would briefly like to give my opinion on how "Devil" is going to go down. Strangers + claustrophobic elevator = hallucinations. There will be whispers; there will be screaming; there will be blood! They will slowly take each other out thinking the other is said "Devil". In the end, the most sheepish, underdog-ed stranger will stride out of the elevator with a Chester Cheetah-like smile. Bing, bang, boom!


The Sixth Sense (1999)
Suspense-thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. (I didn't go to the bathroom without the light for days.) Fantastic twist ending. 


Unbreakable (2000)
This is my favorite Shyamalan film. The theme and character development are phenomenal. The use of colors and environment is genius. Bruce Willis & Samuel L. Jackson. Who could ask for a more dynamic on screen pairing? He truly scored a hit with this one. I'm ready for my sequel!


Signs (2002)
Wonderful film. I love how everything comes full circle in the end. Whether you have religious beliefs or not, I feel this is an intellectual film that will keep you thinking. Also, I left out not feeling so bad about the mass amounts of half empty water bottles I leave lying around. 


The Village (2004)
Great acting. I was slightly disappointed by the ending, but I couldn't help but appreciate the twist. 


Lady in the Water (2006)
I liked this movie even though I've gotten several funny looks. It was like a dark fairy tale come to life. However, the story moved slowly in the beginning and there may have been a tad too many characters to keep up with.


The Happening (2008)
I honestly couldn't get through this movie! The acting was awful. Wahlberg was talking to potted plants and his voice went up about 3 octaves every time he talked about those damn bees! "'The Happening': Something that never should have happened" (As per my big brother hehehe)


The Last Airbender (2010)
I have yet to see this film, but I did read a review that said that "This makes 'Dragonball Evolution' look like a masterpiece" Ouch! Have you seen 'DE'? You'd sadly understand....





3 comments:

  1. I totally agree on your comments about the films. The Happening did creep me out a bit even as I rolled my eyes at the awful, awful script. It was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

    I haven't seen Airbender, but I watched the series on Netflix last month and fell in love with it. I don't know if I can bare watching me butcher it. Apparently, he made happy-go-lucky protagonist Aang "grim". Bleh. Also, he got Aasif Mandvi of The Daily Show to play one of the major villains of the film. I always get a little wary when a comedian is hired to be an antagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love him, until he did what he did to one of my most beloved cartoons (Airbender). Might watch Devil though. The trailer certainly piqued my interest.

    Fickle Cattle
    ficklecattle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Antonia: Thanks! I agree about comedians as antagonists being somewhat of an oxymoron.

    Fickle Cattle: Sorry to hear Airbender got botched. "Devil" does look interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! :)